Friday, May 8, 2015

Baby #2: My Birth Story

April 6, 2015. That was the day we had scheduled to meet our miracle, Deklan Robert. After much prayer and discussion between us and with our high risk OB, we decided that a scheduled c-section was the safest way for Deklan to arrive. We got to choose our scheduled day and I was excited to get April 6 on the calendar. April 6 was important for several reasons. #1, its my brother's birthday and I thought it would be super special for Deklan to share a birthday with his uncle. #2, my dad was on his way to Scotland and the 6th was the only day that he could be in town between his Easter church duties and his travels.

3 weeks before I was scheduled, I came down with an upper respiratory infection. I have dealt with asthma my entire life and for some reason my lungs really don't like me being pregnant. Needless to say, I went through several rounds of meds in order to get well for the arrival of our miracle. The Monday before I was scheduled to deliver, I was still having issues and started another round of meds. I was planning to work right up to d-day, but wanted to be well so I scheduled to take off Wednesday, April 1st in order to get a good day of rest and help my body get over this yuckiness.

At 4:57 AM on April 1st, I woke up to my water breaking. I was not prepared at all. I didn't have my hospital bag packed, I didn't have a plan for Karrington and her bag wasn't packed. My mom and dad were not in town yet. It was clear that even though we had tried to make a plan, that was all quickly changing. I woke Anton up and called my OB. He told us to head up to the hospital. We quickly threw together our bag and woke up Karrington to let her know that we were headed to the hospital and that someone (thanks Carrie!!!) was coming over to get her ready and take her to school.

We got to the hospital and they were waiting for us. They quickly prepped us to go back for surgery. With my birth history, my OB was anxious to get going so that there was the least amount of stress on my heart as possible. The nurses got me prepped in record time and we were headed back to the OR. I was still in a bit of a daze. Everything was going super fast and I couldn't believe that were about to meet our little guy. The day was finally here!

We got in to the OR, they gave an epidural and within minutes were slicing me open. OUCH! I don't know how vaginal birth feels, but I can tell you that c-sections are definitely not the easy way out. Tugging, pulling, pushing...I felt like the entire insides of my body were taken out, squeezed and then put back in. Somewhere in there, they pulled out a giant 9 lb 8 oz baby. I could tell he was a big one!

Hearing that baby cry is probably the most wonderful sound in the world. They brought him over for me to see and he was beautiful! They finished stitching me up and loaded me back on the roller bed. Anton had already headed back to the room with Deklan to get him under the warming light and to get vitals.

One benefit of the c-section is that from the time we arrived at the hospital to the time we heard that beautiful cry was about an hour. Super fast!

We got settled in our room and they monitored both mine and Deklan's vitals. After my last birth experience, they were watching me closely for signs of repeat congestive heart failure. There were no signs and so after 2 days we were released to go home.

We got home, had dinner and went to bed. About 4 AM the next morning, I woke up with a cough and could tell that things weren't ok. We were scheduled to go the hospital for a weight check for Deklan at 9:45, so around 8:00 AM, I decided to give my OB a call and let him know that I was experiencing shortness of breath much like I had after my previous birth. We got to the hospital and Anton took Deklan and Karrington up to the nursery for D's weight check, while I went to triage to see my OB. Within a few minutes, it was clear that I would not be leaving the hospital. They admitted me back in and we quickly came up with a plan for Karrington. I was, once again, in congestive heart failure. They ordered lasix right away and sent me for a chest x-ray and echocardiogram. We also gave my cardiologist a call and he headed up to the hospital. Big difference from my last experience: I knew what was happening, I already had established a baseline and had doctors in place, I knew what questions to ask and Anton knew how to advocate for me. (He was super awesome and deserves an award for being amazingly supportive!) Thanks to all of the those things, we caught this early and were able to limit the amount of damage to my heart. We stayed in the hospital another 2 days. By that time, my parents were finally here. It was so good to see them!!!!!

They believe that the complications were caused by the epidural and not my heart. Apparently epidurals dilate your blood vessels and then they gave me fluids for 2 hours. My body wasn't able to get rid of the fluids fast enough and they settled in my abdominal area, including my lungs. Once the fluid was drained, everything was good. My recovery was much better this time around.

We are so thankful for our doctors and nurses. Even though we went through this again, it wasn't nearly as dramatic and we had a wonderful support system. We were able to realize what amazing friends we have and we are very thankful for each and every one of them.

I am glad that we decided to have this baby. He is a promise from God and a miracle. I was able to learn so much about my body and I know that God has His hand on us every step of the way.
He's a big boy! 

Karrington loves her baby brother! 
Isn't he adorable?

No comments:

Post a Comment