Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Possibilities in 2014

Right after Karrington was born we were advised not to have any other pregnancies. Doctors had diagnosed me with what was thought to be a pregnancy related heart issue. At first I took the diagnosis and took time to process. I wrote about my process here.
After a couple of years, many tests, and some of my own research, I started asking lots of questions about what the tests were saying and what my research was telling me. Things were not matching up. At my last two appointments, I went in with a list of questions. What I found is that I had been locked into my diagnosis. I wasn't getting any answers that made sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I really like the cardiologist that I was seeing. While seeing him, my heart function improved back to mid range normal. He just wasn't willing to look at other possibilities. 
That is when I decided to get a 2nd opinion. I have heard many stories of the value of a 2nd opinion. Sometimes, different eyes see different things. Also, I didn't go in being diagnosed. It was like there was a blank slate. 
I had taken my mom with me to my last cardiologist appointment, so I asked her to go with me to see the 2nd opinion doctor. I was really nervous. Nervous that I wouldn't get my questions answered yet again. Nervous that the current diagnosis was correct and the slight possibility of ever having another baby would be forever gone. 
All of my nerves were put aside immediately after meeting with the nurse. She was extremely friendly. Next was the doctor. He came in and acknowledged the fact that I was far too young to be in his office. I always joke about bringing the median age of a cardiologist office down several years. He looked over my last heart test and within a few minutes stated that I had the wrong diagnosis. Without replaying the whole doctor office visit, he was able to answer every single one of my questions. He also said that he didn't see any reason why I couldn't have another baby. As you can imagine, it took every single ounce of my energy to hold back the flood of emotion that I was feeling. I felt validated in my search for answers. 
It is like I have received the most precious gift in the world. 2nd opinions can mean 2nd chances. I still have a heart issue, but it will be treated differently and we know it wasn't caused by pregnancy. I still have some work to do in the process. My next step is to meet with the high risk ob (my appointment is made). We will see what they have to say. I am content either way. I feel I have been given a gift, but I know that there is still much to process and to think through. 
I say all of this and am excited at the possibilities. Who knows, there could be a baby Bossio announcement in 2014. We will see. 

Blessings, 
Tasha 

2 comments:

  1. Tasha, hello my beautiful girl. Reading this I now have tears of joy running down my cheeks. I know how much you guys wanted another baby. Now it's possible. God is truly good and know our needs. Let me know how things go. I am SO happy for you my precious girl!!! Love, gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete